Thursday, August 23, 2012

Seriously Grown Up Mac and Cheese

I've been trying to wean us off of meat since we've been back in China and so far it is going well.  No one has complained(much) anyway!  I could eat meatless every day but my kids get sick of beans so last night I whipped up a baked mac and cheese with broccoli.  Okay it was seriously delicious!  So I'm going to share it with you! (Keep in mind measurements are approximate because I wasn't following a recipe so use your judgment on quantities.  This made enough for the four of us for dinner with leftovers for lunches tomorrow.)

About 2 cups dry pasta of your choice- I used bow tie 
About 2 cups of chopped broccoli

Boil water, add pasta adding the broccoli in the last couple of minutes of cooking time to be tender crisp.

Meanwhile in a medium sized pot melt 1-2 TBSP butter with a couple cloves of chopped garlic and about 1 TBSP of chopped fresh rosemary.  When its good and fragrant add about 2 TBSP flour stirring to make a roux.  Slowly add 1- 1and1/2 cups of milk stirring to avoid lumps.  To that add 2 cups of chopped cheese of your choice.  I used cheddar and monterey jack in equal portions.  Stir until melted and turn off heat.

Drain pasta and broccoli, pour sauce over and spoon into a casserole dish topping with crumbled soda crackers and shredded Parmesan.  Bake at 350 until your mouth is watering enough that you can't stand having it in the oven a moment longer! 

Yup its delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment