Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A quick trip to Chongqing

A couple weekends ago we took the high speed train to Chongqing to celebrate my boy S's 5th birthday.  We wanted to get out of Chengdu and see something new so we hopped on the train at 8:00am and were on our way.  The trip was two and a half hours each way and round trip cost about $30 each for 'First Class' tickets.


Up to speed!




If I could live in the Chinese countryside rather than the city I would.  Its beautiful!


No trip to another city is complete without a trip to the zoo.  The Chongqing zoo is much better than the Chengdu zoo.  Less crowded and for the most part the animals look healthy and taken care of.  Including this monkey riding an ostrich ;)

 

We got to know the Chongqing Metro while we were there.  Its the quickest and easiest way to get around an unfamiliar city.  The nice thing about the Metro in Chongqing was that it wasn't all below ground like Chengdu's so we were able to see a bit of the cityscape.  This is possibly the Yangtze River but I'm not sure as there are three rivers running through the city.


All in all I quite liked Chongqing.  Although it has approximately 30 million people I thought the city was nicer.  It seemed less crowded and it had more character.  And the people at Starbucks even got my drink right...which doesn't happen all that often!

No comments:

Post a Comment