Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Where's the Logic?

I made my morning trip to the grocery store today to grab ingredients for Minestrone Soup for dinner and I was feeling like dumplings for lunch.  Upon reaching the section where the fresh dumplings are located I noticed that the date on the tag was wrong.  It said 2013-01-04 to 2013-01-05.  Okay well I know its the 9th today so either they punched the wrong date in or someone forgot to make fresh dumplings.  I showed a package to the nearest store employee and then punched are these made today?  into my translator.  She gives me some sort of non committing shrug while she texts on her phone.  Okay.  A store manager then comes over and he explains to me in veeeeeeerrrrrryyy slow Chinese something.  I smile and tell him in Chinese that I don't understand what he's saying and show him my translator asking if they are fresh.  So then he gets out his phone and starts scribbling away in Chinese then shows it to me.  I was waiting for him to hit the 'translate' button which will magically change it into English.  I guess there wasn't a magic button.  Okay so logic would suggest that if a person(me) doesn't understand what you are saying in Chinese then I'm likely not going to understand written Chinese either!  Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment