Friday, January 11, 2013

Little Pictures have big ears

Pictures; pitchers not sure which its actually supposed to be but my mom has always said pictures and her mom said pictures so that's what I'm going with.  So anyway, point is:  your kids hear everything you say even if you don't realize that they hear.  Case in point:  my dear sweet darling five year old boy dropped the F Bomb at school on Thursday.  Mortified doesn't even come close to how I feel.  I know I'm at fault.  I say the F word even though I try hard not to say it in front of my kids.(You probably would too if people were trying to run you over on a daily basis.)  I never really thought it needed addressing because my daughter thinks anything beyond the word poop is a bad word, so I assumed(you know about assumptions) that kids using bad adult words wasn't going to be an issue.  Clearly I was wrong!  After a talk about 'the word' and telling the boy child that if his friends parents found out he was teaching their kids this word then he might not be allowed to play with them anymore, he went to bed feeling rather sheepish. 

Yesterday I talked to Mr. R, my son's teacher about it and he agreed to talk to the class about how to treat other people and what being a good friend means.  He told me at the end of the day that S's eyes got wide and he sort of shrunk into himself when his teacher started talking about name calling.  He knew what it was about! 

I know that in reality some kids swear.  They just do.  They hear it at school, they hear it from movies, parents, people on the street etc but I don't want to encourage that in my own children nor do I want them to be the kids in school using the bad words! 

So I guess as well as my resolution to be happy no matter what, I also need to curb my swearing.  Its hard to break a bad habit especially when I live in a place that is so different from where I came from and all I want to do is scream at the top of my lungs, "why are you so f**king stupid?!" to the people in the grocery store.  I won't.  I'm probably already known as the crazy laowai anyway.  No more F word. 

I'll work on it...

No comments:

Post a Comment